Wednesday, May 31, 2006
"House'' for instance, is feminine: ''la casa.''
''Pencil,'' however, is masculine: "el lapiz.''
A student asked, ''What gender is 'computer'?
''Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether ''computer'' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.
Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.
The men's group decided that ''computer'' should definitely be of the feminine gender
(''la computadora''), because...
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for possible later retrieval. ...AND
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
(THIS GETS BETTER!)
The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine
(''el computador''), because...
1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on.
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves.
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem. ...AND
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.
Okay, which gender do you think a computer should be?
Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Saturday, May 27, 2006
Friday, May 26, 2006
(1) You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming.-- Alan, age 10
(2) No person really decides before they grow up who they're going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you're stuck with.-- Kirsten, age 10
WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?
(1) Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then.-- Camille, age 10
(2) No age is good to get married at. You got to be a fool to get married.-- Freddie, age 6 (very wise for his age)
HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?
(1) You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.-- Derrick, age 8
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?
(1) Both don't want any more kids.-- Lori, age 8
WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
(1) Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.-- Lynnette, age 8 (isn't she a treasure)
(2) On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.-- Martin, age 10 (wise beyond his years)
WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?
(1) I'd run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns.-- Craig, age 9
WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
(1) When they're rich.-- Pam, age 7
(2) The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn't want to mess with that.-- Curt, age 7
(3) The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It's the right thing to do.-- Howard, age 8 (this one has very good morals)
IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
(1) I don't know which is better, but I'll tell you one thing. I'm never going to have sex with my wife. I don't want to be all grossed out.-- Theodore, age 8
(2) It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.-- Anita, age 9 (bless you child)
HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?
(1) There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn't there?-- Kelvin, age 8
And the #1 Favorite is........
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
(1 ) Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck.-- Ricky, age 10
I like what Howard has to say *giggle*
Love you guys, have a great weekend.
Monday, May 22, 2006
contemplating ecological issues
on the shores of an unpolluted pond
in a verdant meadow near her castle.
The frog hopped into the princess' lap
and said: " Elegant Lady,
I was once a handsome prince,
until an evil witch cast a spell upon me.
One kiss from you, however,
and then, my sweet, we can marry
and set up housekeeping in your castle
with my mother,
where you can prepare my meals,
clean my clothes, bear my children,
feel grateful and happy doing so. "
as the princess dined sumptuously
on lightly sauteed frog legs
seasoned in a white wine
and onion cream sauce,
she chuckled and thought to herself:
I don't think so!
It seems there should be a moral to this story, is there?
Oh wait....it is just a fairytale! ;)
Friday, May 19, 2006
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Maybe I should say one of those weeks....
Maybe I should just say blech....
Maybe I should just :*(
Sorry to all of you for not commenting back to you on the last post. I just want to say thank you for coming over to the Castle. You are all welcome anytime, there is plenty of room and I love having all of you visit. Maybe we should have another party soon.
I have not forgotten about all of you and I will be visiting you soon, I promise.
Oh, to all of you new visitors, thank you for coming by. We usually have a lot of fun here, so I will make it up to all of you. I hope you will all come back.
Please stay with me, as I will be smiling again soon, ok?
Monday, May 15, 2006
It is so annoying.
Not to mention it is dangerous.
I know that when someone does that, it usually means they are in a hurry and want you to speed up. Guess what? It doesn't make me speed up. In fact, it irritates me so much, that I do completely the opposite.
There is one particular incident that stands out for me.
One night, I was on my way home, driving the speed limit, just minding my own business. All of the sudden a guy comes up behind me and starts riding my bumper. He was obviously very impatient and started honking.
Well, that really didn't sit well with me, so I gradually slowed down, way down.
I never stomped the brakes (something I know people do) and I tried to remain calm.
We came upon an intersection in which we both made a right turn onto a 4 lane road.
I immediately got back up to the speed limit as he went to the left lane in order to pass me. What he didn't know was that my boyfriend was ahead of me and had slowed down when he had not seen me for a while.
He saw what was happening through his rearview mirror.
Just as the guy was coming up along side of me, my boyfriend moved to the left lane, which blocked the guy from passing me.
At that point my boyfriend and I both slowed down and drove together, which kept him in a blocked position.
I don't think the guy liked that very much, as he threw his arms up and honked at my boyfriend.
We were approaching the intersection to turn.
My boyfriend slowly moved over behind me as we began to make a right turn, and the guy made it to the intersection only to be stopped by a red light.
As we made our turn, he sat at the red light, gesturing, yelling and honking.
The timing of everything was impeccable, and of course he had no clue that we even knew each other.
You know what "they" say about patience!
My boyfriend and I still laugh and say every so often...."wonder if he is still mad".
Slow down and be safe!
Friday, May 12, 2006
~ Love you all
Brain Lateralization Test Results
|Right Brain (28%) The right hemisphere is the visual, figurative, artistic, and intuitive side of the brain.|
Left Brain (76%) The left hemisphere is the logical, articulate, assertive, and practical side of the brain
personality tests by similarminds.com
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
2. A day without sunshine is like, night
3. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
4. I just got lost in thought. It wasn't familiar territory.
5. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
6. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
7. I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
8. Honk if you love peace and quiet.
9. Remember, half the people you know are below average
10. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
11. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
12. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.
13. I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
14. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
15. Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7 of your week.
16. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
17. Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
18. Get a new car for your spouse. It'll be a great trade!
19. Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
20. Always try to be modest, and be proud of it!
21. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
22. How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand...
23. OK, so what's the speed of dark?
24. How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?
25. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
26. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
27. Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
28. Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
29. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
30. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?
31. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
32. What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
33. I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.
34. I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
35. Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
36. Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.
37. Just remember - if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
38. Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
.....Iron Man Competition (the way it should be)!
ONLY IN AMERICA:
Only in America...Do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to tet their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes in the front.
Only in America...Do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a DIET coke!
Only in America...Do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.
Only in America...Do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage!
Only in America...Do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.
Only in America...Do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "poli" in Latin means "many" and "tics" means "bloodsucking creatures".
Only in America...Do we have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering!
Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?
Why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed?
Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?
Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?
Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?
Why is the man who invests all of your money called a broker?
Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called a rush hour?
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?
Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?
Monday, May 08, 2006
This is how it works: Comment on this entry and I will give you a letter. Write ten words beginning with that letter in your journal, including an explanation of what the word means to you and why, and then pass out letters to those who want to play along.
Diamonds ~ Beautiful sparkly glistening stones. I love them. I don't think a girl can ever have too many of these little (or big) gems!
Darbi ~ My little girl cat. Well, she is not really little, but she is mine. She has a beautiful coat, grey, sable, white with a touch of tan and a little bit of black. It is amazing that she has so much beautiful color now. When I first got her, she was about 4 weeks old and very tiny. She was solid white with crystal blue eyes. She was so tiny that I had to bottle feed her. She gradually changed colors, but she still has her beautiful blue eyes. She is now 9 years old, and my sweet little friend.
Dog ~ I love dogs too. I grew up having a dog, but it has been a long time since I have had one. I have wanted a blonde Golden Retriever as long as I can remember. Boyfriend had a beautiful "red" Golden Retriever named Sam. Sam was a good dog, sweet and loyal. He used to go canoeing with us. We miss him very much.
Donkey ~ I have actually seen a donkey in person. A couple years ago, Boyfriend and I went to a remote place shopping for canoes. As we were leaving the little store, we saw a pasture that was fenced. There were donkeys in the pasture. I was so amazed, I got him to stop so we could take pictures. Cool, huh?
Dariere ~ I like this word. I am not sure of the correct spelling but I am referring to my backside. I haven't seen it too much, but others have. Now I do see other's but not my own. The thing I like about it is that it gives me some cushion when I sit *giggle*.
Dang ~ I am not one to curse (well, almost never). I think everyone needs an explosive word and this is the one I use. I just don't like hearing a lady sound like a sailor, so I choose the word "dang" instead of an alternative curse word. (ok, maybe I should use the word "dork" here!)
Delicious ~ Mostly, I think this word means pleasing to the taste. It could also have other connotations. For instance, when I see a man with a nice smile or nice eyes, or a really nice set of shoulders and arms....that is delicious.
Donuts ~ A donut is a round fried doughy pastrylike food. Sometimes they have a hole in them or they are filled with jelly or cream. They are very tasty, but they give me heartburn, so I don't eat them very often. Plus they are fairly fattening!
Dad ~ The man that raised me, gave me love and guidance throughout my years. He and my mom have been married 56 years. They just moved to Birmingham from Sarasota a few weeks ago. It is great to have them close by.
Dragon ~ Every Castle needs one. The Protector in my moat!