Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Tailgater

Have you ever had someone tailgate you before? It is so annoying. Not to mention it is dangerous. I know that when someone does that, it usually means they are in a hurry and want you to speed up. Guess what? It doesn't make me speed up. In fact, it irritates me so much, that I do completely the opposite. There is one particular incident that stands out for me. One night, I was on my way home, driving the speed limit, just minding my own business. All of the sudden a guy comes up behind me and starts riding my bumper. He was obviously very impatient and started honking. Well, that really didn't sit well with me, so I gradually slowed down, way down. I never stomped the brakes (something I know people do) and I tried to remain calm. We came upon an intersection in which we both made a right turn onto a 4 lane road. I immediately got back up to the speed limit as he went to the left lane in order to pass me. What he didn't know was that my boyfriend was ahead of me and had slowed down when he had not seen me for a while. He saw what was happening through his rearview mirror. Just as the guy was coming up along side of me, my boyfriend moved to the left lane, which blocked the guy from passing me. At that point my boyfriend and I both slowed down and drove together, which kept him in a blocked position. I don't think the guy liked that very much, as he threw his arms up and honked at my boyfriend. We were approaching the intersection to turn. My boyfriend slowly moved over behind me as we began to make a right turn, and the guy made it to the intersection only to be stopped by a red light. As we made our turn, he sat at the red light, gesturing, yelling and honking. The timing of everything was impeccable, and of course he had no clue that we even knew each other. You know what "they" say about patience! My boyfriend and I still laugh and say every so often...."wonder if he is still mad". Slow down and be safe!

1 comment:

BadGod said...

I hate to say it, but why didn't you just let him pass? What you did was just to piss him off more. Not teach him a lesson. i drive a truck for a living and understand why it is fustrating to have a moron like him doing that. Of course, if I did not have to watch everything around me because of the size of truck and trailer, I'd probably do the same thing you did.