Saturday, July 16, 2005

TV needs a makeover

I was just watching tv, or I should say, looking for something to watch on tv. TV really stinks these days. I have over 200 channels and most of the time there is nothing good to watch. Too many infomercials. That gets me to "Reality TV"! It used to be a novelty thing, kind of innovative. But now....ridiculous! There is reality show on top of reality show. Some of them are truly pathetic. Nannies, wife swapping, bachelor, bachelorettes, the Real Gilligan's Island Hahaha....etc., etc. Even Survivor, which I believe was one of the first ones, isn't truly reality. I never watched it, but I read an article once, where they said that some of the events had to be done more than once in order to get a good camera angle. Britney Spears, I assume was jealous of Jessica Simpson's success with her reality show Newlyweds, so she decided to turn in some video tape to one of the television channels and make it into a reality show....what a joke. I didn't see it, but I heard it was terrible. Enough is enough, time for them to stop airing. Just like all of the court/judge shows. How can anyone go on national tv with your marital, civil or financial problems? It surely wouldn't get you any sympathy, only laughed at. It is so undignified. They are the type of person that is chosen to be interviewed after a natural disaster of some sort. They are usually illiterate with an unkept appearance, and for some reason have the desire to be noticed, now becoming someone that represents the area you come from! Anyway, back to television. Talk shows! I remember when it used to be The Tonight Show and The David Letterman show. Now, everyone has one. I think you might be able to catch one in between the court show and the reality show. There is so much competition with the talk shows. Everyone wants to have the best guests, and they try cramming in several guests in one show. This leaves only a few minutes to see each guest. Sometimes you can't figure out why they were even brought on the show. Just an introduction, some one minute uninspiring conversation, and then they are thanked and off to commercial. What about the makeover shows? There is a show to makeover everything....homes, rooms, hair, faces, and bodies, anything you desire. They should have a show to makeover television. Ok, the last thing I wanted to mention as far as television is MTV. Does anyone know what that stands for? Yes, Music television. However, it should be ABMTV....Anything But Music Television. When it first came out, it was great. They played music videos and that is all. Now you can watch that show for hours and not see any music videos. They have games and ...ha, more reality tv. Oh well, I guess I should just stick to watching what my boyfriend watches, the History Channel, at least that channel makes sense.

6 comments:

Lee Ann said...

mlwhitt - you are right. Definitely no reruns, it is hard enough to sit through the original. :)

Blake said...

Throw your television out of your window. That is the only option. Even if there were 567 chanels, none of them would be any good. And I'm sure Britney Spears is shitting a golden brick now that she has been eclipsed by Jessica Simpson--Dukes is no Crossroads.

Blake

Lee Ann said...

the everglades - you are right, that is good :)

BadGod said...

The History Channel is the greatest freakin' channel ever.

I remember when TLC had cool shows. Discovery channel went gay.

That could be why I canceled cable altogether. That and I am never home to watch it anymore anyway. I just leach off my frinds.

BeckEye said...

The deal with reality TV is that it's become as scripted as regular TV, under the guise of still being "real". I remember the first season of The Real World and it was pretty obvious that those kids had no idea what the hell they had gotten into. While I'm sure they were well aware of the camera at times and weren't always completely themselves, it was probably the most real anyone could've hoped for. But once the producers saw how well it worked, every season after that had to have "the naive girl", "the hunk", "the gay one", "the angry black one", "the wannabe musician", "the jackass" and then a few "wild cards" who were camera-friendly. I really can't get into that show anymore because of it's scripted nature, but I do get a big kick out of those Real World/Road Rules challenges. People are never more real than when they're competing for money. I do like some reality shows but others turn my stomach. And the sheer volume of them is pretty ridiculous.

By the way, it's so funny that you and I have that same college dream. I read on some dream analysis website that it means that I'm afraid to move on to the next stage of my life...which in my case is probably true!

Lee Ann said...

beckeye - I think what you said is probably right. The sheer volume of them is ridiculous. I think they just don't know when to stop. As far as my college dream and the analysis, that is probably true for me as well.
midwest hick, the everglades, badgod, and will irby - looks like we are all on the same page.