Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Jet-setters vs. The Jetsons

Wednesday blah! I did find an interesting story. Does everyone remember seeing those shows on tv years ago about the "futuristic homes"? It seemed like it would never happen as it was too far away in the future, or unrealistic. Well, it's here, just think of your grandparents when you read this one. Hope everyone has a good day!

St. George, Utah is going high tech with their seniors. The futuristic, fiber optic, digital homes in Sun River community of people 55 and older went online and for sale last week. These jetsetter seniors will have the latest technology and be able to control everything, including security, phone service, and temperature controls through a home network.
Lighting, entertainment systems and security can be accessed from remote locations. They will even be alerted to any problems by email. Their community intranet will also keep these residents up to date on current events and local news.
Developer Darcy Stewart says these homes are even equipped to handle the evolution of technology once it becomes available.
One thing that is so revolutionary about the features in these homes for this senior community is that they are simple, easy to use and wrapped up in a reasonably priced home. These home networks can be used with a touch screen mounted system in their home or a connection to any personal computer, laptop or any other personal digital assistant / device that displays a Web page.


"It's all about convenience," said Kevin Marquess, builder sales manager with Honeywell. "You have remote access to everything."
It's the Jetson's in modern day! Go Granny Go!

21 comments:

Ticharu said...

I was reading the other day, and I've heard this before, that the pace of inventions that actually change anything about how we live has slowed down since the 1850's and today all these gadgets are nothing 'new' in the sense that for example, a telephone is still just a telephone, etc.

mojoala said...

Imagine how life will be in 10 years!

Lee Ann said...

tich ~ You are right! But also think of telephones themselves. Now you can take pictures with them, listen to music, make videos, check email....and you can carry them everywhere! Remember the "old days" when you had maybe one or two stationary DIAL phones in your house? We have some of the same good basic ideas, but they have evolved amazingly.

Justice ~ I know, I remember when I was a child thinking "how cool would that be to live with all of that technology". I probably did not think the word "technology" at that time, but you know what I mean.

Mojo ~ I know, it is amazing. Sometimes I just look at cars on the highway and think how modern they really look (and we have sort of taken them for granted because of how they have slowly evolved). 10 years from now....could be very exciting!

Blake said...

I'm forwarding this to my grandparents, haha!

Blake

Lee Ann said...

Blake ~ They will love it!

Becky said...

That's really cool. In the words of Garth (on Wayne's World,) "We fear change!"

Brooks Brown said...

can i make reservations? this place sounds pretty rad. what would sweeten the deal even further is if each home came with its own "rosie" -- remember the jetson's robot maid. i always wanted one of those.

Lee Ann said...

Becky ~ Yeah, the biggest fear is change, but once it has changed, you are in it and it is not fearful anymore. Does that make sense? haha

Echeevo72 ~ Yes! I remember Rosie. She was awesome. I would like to have one of those too. ;)

Becky said...

We are creatures of habit.

Lee Ann said...

Becky ~ you are right about that!

jiggs said...

MY GRANDPARENTS CAN'T EVEN SET THE VC... OH GOD! MY CAPLOCK IS ON AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP IT. SORRY TO EVERYONE. I'M NOT TRYING TO YELL, I'M JUST TERRIBLE WITH TECHNOLOGY.

Lee Ann said...

jiggs ~ lmao! You are funny! And right, most seniors don't know how to work any of that stuff. I wonder if their house will come with an instruction booklet.

Calzone said...

What would it take to make you bad???

Lee Ann said...

carslemane ~ omg! *cringe* I would have had a heart attack! Can you imagine?

Lee Ann said...

Calzone ~ Depends on what kind of bad! ;)

Kay Ray said...

i saw this show on HGTV that shows the latest gadgets.. the best one ive seen is a washer/dryer combo that you can put anywhere and its an all in one u just touch a button and it washes and drys!!

Ticharu: a phone is just a phone but now with the amazing Blue Tooth capabilities we are well on our way to even doing away with having to have our phone right next to us

Lee Ann said...

kay ray ~ That is cool! And it makes perfect sense to have it all as one unit!

Ticharu said...

Lee Ann, I have ONE phone, it's plugged into the wall, and the chord attaches just below the mouthpiece...

Lee Ann said...

Wow Tich! I haven't had a landline in 5 years! But I do remember them! *giggle*

BeckEye said...

I was going to say something about a robot maid and I see echeevo already did. She and I have been eerily on the same wavelength all week! It's starting to creep me out!

On to my next comment then, I'm still waiting for the science nerds to perfect teleportation. As someone who is chronically late, that would do me a world of good.

Lee Ann said...

BeckEye ~ Yeah, Rosie was great. I too would benefit from having a teleportation device. That would be cool.