Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Food for thought!



I was eating celery the other day and started wondering what the nutritional value is.
It doesn't really seem like there is much to it. (Celery as a whole).
So, I thought I would share what I found out about celery.


Celery, raw
Serving size: 100 grams1 ounce (28g)1 NLEA serving (110g)1 cup chopped (101g)1 tbsp (8g)1 stalk large (11"-12" long) (62g)1 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) (40g)1 stalk, small (5" long) (17g)1 strip (4" long) (4g)

Nutritional Summary for Celery, raw

The GoodThis food is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Potassium and Manganese. (Oh, and it is crunchy...that is a good thing! Well, I guess that all depends on the situation. I guess it wouldn't be good to eat it in a movie theatre.)

The BadThis food is high in Sodium, and a large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars. (Who would have thought it would be high in anything?)

95% Moisture Content ...WOW, IT IS MOSTLY MOISTURE!!!!
78% Carbs (ooh, high in carbs???)
10% Fats
12% Protein
81 Completeness
Score4.5 Fullness Factor
5.0 ND Rating

Protein Quality for Celery, raw This symbol illustrates the proportion of essential amino acids in this food, and can help you identify complete proteins. Learn more about Protein Quality.
52 Amino Acid Score

Protein Complements: Adding other foods with complementary amino acid profiles to this food may yield a more complete protein source, and improve the quality of some types of restrictive diets. Foods with the highest ratios of Methionine+Cystine to Tryptophan

Nutrients per Serving for Celery, raw

Food EnergyAmounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Calories 15.4
Calories from Alcohol 0.0 (no alcohol calories!!!)
Calories from Carbohydrate 12.0
Calories from Fat 1.6
Calories from Protein 1.9

Carbohydrates
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Total Carbohydrate 3.3g
Dietary Fiber 1.8g
Starch .0.gSugars 2.0g
Sucrose 121mg
Glucose 605mg
Fructose 561mg
Lactose .0.mg
Maltose 0.0mg
Galactose 726mg

Fats & Fatty Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Total Fat 0.2g (I can hardly believe there is any fat in celery!)
Saturated Fat g
4:0 0.0mg6:0 0.0mg8:0 0.0mg10:0 0.0mg12:0 0.0mg13:0 ~14:0 1.1mg15:0 ~16:0 41.8mg17:0 ~18:0 4.4mg19:0 ~20:0 ~22:0 ~24:0 ~
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g14:1 ~15:1 ~16:1 undifferentiated 1.1mg16:1 c ~16:1 t ~17:1 ~18:1 undifferentiated 34.1 mg18:1 c ~18:1 t ~20:1 0.0mg22:1 undifferentiated 0.0 mg22:1 c ~22:1 t ~24:1 c ~
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g16:2 undifferentiated ~18:2 undifferentiated 89.1mg18:2 n-6 c,c ~18:2 c,t ~18:2 t,c ~18:2 t,t ~18:2 i ~18:2 t not further defined ~18:3 0.0mg18:3 n-3 c,c,c ~18:3 n-6 c,c,c ~18:4 undifferentiated 0.0mg20:2 n-6 c,c ~20:3 undifferentiated ~20:3 n-3 ~20:3 n-6 ~20:4 undifferentiated 0.0mg20:4 n-3 ~20:4 n-6 ~20:5 n-3 0.0mg22:2 ~22:5 n-3 0.0mg22:6 n-3 0.0mg
Total trans fats ~
Total trans-monoenoic fats ~
Total trans-polyenoic fats ~

Protein & Amino Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Protein 0.8gTryptophan 9.9mgThreonine 22.0mgIsoleucine 23.1mgLeucine 35.2mgLysine 29.7mgMethionine 5.5mgCystine 4.4mgPhenylalanine 22.0mgTyrosine 9.9mgValine 29.7mgArginine 22.0mgHistidine 13.2mgAlanine 25.3mgAspartic acid 129mgGlutamic acid 99.0mgGlycine 23.1mgProline 19.8mgSerine 22.0mgHydroxyproline ~

Vitamins
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Vitamin A 494IURetinol 0.0mcgRetinol Activity Equivalent 24.2mcgAlpha Carotene 0.0mcgBeta Carotene 297mcgBeta Cryptoxanthin 0.0mcgLycopene 0.0mcgLutein+Zeaxanthin 311mcgVitamin C 3.4mgVitamin D ~Vitamin E 0.3mgBeta Tocopherol 0.0mgGamma Tocopherol 0.0mgDelta Tocopherol 0.0mgThiamin 0.0mgRiboflavin 0.1mgNiacin 0.4mgVitamin B6 0.1mgFolate 39.6mcgFood Folate 39.6mcgFolic Acid 0.0mcgDietary Folate Equivalents 39.6mcgVitamin B12 0.0mcgPantothenic Acid 0.3mgVitamin K 32.2mcg

Minerals
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Calcium 44.0mgIron 0.2mgMagnesium 12.1mgPhosphorus 26.4mgPotassium 286mgSodium 88.0mg Zinc 0.1mgCopper 0.0mgManganese 0.1mgSelenium 0.4mcg

Sterols
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Cholesterol 0.0mgPhytosterols 6.6mgCampesterol ~Stigmasterol ~Beta-sitosterol ~

Other
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Alcohol 0.0gWater 105gAsh 0.8gCaffeine 0.0mgTheobromine 0.0mg


Hmmmm....no alcohol in celery? What a surprise!
So, does it seem that celery is good for you?

Oh, I should also mention that I think I have a slight allergy to celery as it causes my lips and the tip of my tongue to feel slightly numb and tingly.
Seriously, who is allergic to celery?

haha...food for thought!

31 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



I've never been so offended in my life.

I say good day.

Ryan said...

u put a lot of work into this post. i dont like it much the cerley.

Carl Spackler said...

thanks for the low down on celery! the things you can learn while blogging are amazing!

Cherry! said...

I hate celery. I thought it may be one of things that you start liking when you get a bit older. But no. I still hate it. And since it doesn't have any alcohol in it I'm not even going to try to like it anymore.

b o o said...

i like to juice celery with apple & carrot :)

Lee Ann said...

Hippo ~ Sorry sweetie, I didn't mean to offend you!

Ryan ~ See, celery is one of those blah type foods. I don't think anyone absolutely loves it.

Carl ~ I thought people would just want to know that there is more to celery than we thought! haha

Cherry ~ I used to hate it, but now I almost like it, except I am a little allergic to it!

Lee Ann said...

Boo ~ Hmmm...I have never juiced celery. Oh, I have had it in a bloody mary though! ;)

Shannon ~ I have never tried that. I have had it with ranch dressing or cottage cheese. So, you think I should try it with peanut butter?

AndyW said...

I watch two kids have a celery eating contest one year at summer camp.

They both threw-up all over the place afterward.

I've never touched celery since.

Ellen said...

Boy are you ever right about the crunch factor... there's just no way to eat celery silently. And yes, celery with peanut butter is great!

Glibbidy said...

Sometimes my tongue tingles from celery.

No alcohol in it, except maybe with a bloody mary.

peanute butter on it, with a few raisins...yum. The kids call it "ants on a log"

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... Ants on a log. Love it. I enjoy celery a lot, except for when it gets stuck between my teeth...

Where did you find all of that info???

Lee Ann said...

Andy ~ eewww...not a pretty sight. That might have done it for me too!

Ellen ~ Guess I will have to try that! :)

Glib ~ Oh, I think you are the only other person that celery does that to(the tingling)! YAY for bloody mary! Haha, ants on a log, haven't heard that!

Nilo ~ Oh, it does that to me too! Sometimes it seems stringier than other times!
Well....I studied it, so I researched! haha...jk!

Heather said...

The good thing about celery is that is has negative calories. It actually takes more calories to process than it contains, so just by eating it, you're getting negative calories.

truckdriver_sefl said...

This is one of the reasons I love to come to the Castle to visit you can learn soooo much!!

Lee Ann said...

Heather ~ I know, I eat it for the crunch factor!

Trucker ~ See you never know when I might be teaching class! haha

Saur♥Kraut said...

A Celery Post! Now that's a first! I love the stuff, it's a girl's best friend. They "say" that you use as much calories eating and digesting it as you get from it. It's a great diet aid!

AndyT13 said...

If there's no alcohol in it I'm not intersted. Besides I hate celery. Yuck! Arguably a tie with artichokes and cauliflower for my least favorite foods. Thanks for the encouragement on working out. I went 9 of the last 12 days. Going again tonight. By the way, just so you know, you're making me squirm. I took that test and was 92% EVIL. They said it like it was a bad thing!

Hotboy said...

Must say I laughed a lot reading this. I do not laugh all that often, being an onion eater, but celery... we in Scotland never ate vegetables for hundreds of years and got by on porridge for every meal..Now, I can't walk by a cow without wanting to eat it! I assume it knows I'm not going to eat it. Mooo. Hotboy p.s. Could give it a rosette and an old cow pension.

jiggs said...

I love to eat celery in the movie theater. Other things I eat in a movie theater: potato chips, ribs, pop rocks, and barking dogs.

JM said...

That's a lot of info about celery.
I also heard it takes more calories to digest it than it's actually worth.

Ticharu said...

I love celery almost as much as I love girls!

mikster said...

Well...I've learned a couple of new things today.

Grimstarr said...

OK first off ... you have WAAAAAAAY to much time on your hands. Ants on a log is pretty good but I'm a purist. If I eat raw celery, I eat it with peanut butter filling the rib. It is a health food though ... that's why I sautee mine in butter, lots of butter. Add some mushrooms and sour or heavy cream and it's great over my other favorite health food ... rice. LOL
TG

Neo said...

Lee Ann I'll drink to that! ;)

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

Lee Ann said...

Saur ~ Haha, well, I like being first sometimes! Yes, a diet supplement...just a tad bit more flavor than crunchy water.

Andy ~ Oh well, you know, celery is just not for everyone! My workouts have been kicking my backside lately! So, I know how encouragement is needed sometimes. Sorry, didn't mean to make you squirm...so you are an evil fellow, eh? :)

Hotboy ~ I am glad you got a laugh. Hmmmm...maybe I will have to do a post on cows!

Jiggs ~ Oh yes, pop rocks...with coke or sprite! Don't the ribs get a wee bit messy? I went to the movies once after lunch at The cheesecake factory, so I had cheesecake left to bring home and did not want to leave it in the car. They wouldn't let me take it in the theatre! I had to leave it on the counter near a trash can. Needless to say I just left it there on my way out. grrrr! woofwoof! ;)

Lee Ann said...

Angel ~ Well, that is a good thing!!! What can I say, I could have been more thorough, but I didn't want to write a full report.

Tich ~ OH YAY! I knew you would like it!

Mike ~ Haha, well, I just figured that was a burning topic and everyone would want to know more about it! haha

TG ~ I have never tried it those ways. I am pretty boring, mostly I eat it raw and plain.

Neo ~ Most definitely! ;)
*hugs*

jamwall said...

lips numb and tingly...that actually sounds like a good thing!

Lee Ann said...

Jams ~ hmmm...yes, it can be ;)

Spinning Girl said...

This reminds me of the SNL skit "The Delicious Dish".

Lee Ann said...

SG ~ Too funny! SNL is great. My favorites are those that had Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain and Laraine Newman...Land shark, Blues Brothers and Coneheads.

Lee Ann said...

Julia ~ Hey! Glad you stopped over. That is a good thing, isn't it!
Hope you will come back more often.